Building, Mechanical, Plumbing & Electrical Permits

Remodeling or adding to your home?

A building permit is required any time you do work that is regulated by the building code. This includes:

  • Any work done to the permanent weather resistive surfaces of the dwelling such as the siding, windows, or roof
  • A change in the use of a space or the finishing of unfinished space
  • The building of additions, garages, and decks (Note: this may also require a Residential Review Permit as outlined here.)

Work that is exempt from a permit includes painting, wallpapering, flooring, kitchen cabinets, and minor repairs. Detached storage buildings not exceeding 200 square feet do not require a building permit if they are not installed on a concrete slab. They do, however, require a plan review.

A mechanical permit is required for work done with air exchange systems, heating, and air conditioning. A plumbing permit is required when adding a water fixture such as a sink, tub, toilet, or lawn sprinklers. An electrical permit is required for work done with your electrical wiring system. Electrical permits are issued by the State of Minnesota. Information and permits can be accessed from the State of Minnesota.

Building Permits


Parts of nine communities get their mail through the Excelsior Post Office and most requests for permits are actually for properties located in another municipality. Please verify that the property you're requesting a permit for is within Excelsior city limits. (Helpful tip: any address with more than three digits isn't Excelsior and any address that is in Carver County is not in Excelsior.) If the City receives a permit and fee for a property that is not in Excelsior, we will notify you, but the information will not be mailed back to you.

Commercial Building Permit Application (PDF)

Residential Building Permit Application (PDF)

Residential Review Permit Application (PDF)

Sewer and Water Disconnect Permit Application (PDF)

Construction Management Agreement (PDF)

Fence/Retaining Wall Application (PDF)

Mechanical Permit Application (PDF)

Plumbing Permit Application (PDF)

Sign Permit Application (PDF)

Temporary Sign Permit Application (PDF)

If you would like additional information or if you have any questions, please email City Planner, Emily Becker or call her (952) 653-3674.