Required Permits

**Please verify that the property you’re requesting a permit for is within the Excelsior city limits. (Helpful tip: any address with more than THREE digits isn’t in Excelsior. You can search Carver County Property Information or Property Maps to find the correct city)**

Building Permits

A building permit is required any time you do work that is regulated by the building code. This includes:

  • Any work done to the permanent weather resistive surfaces of the dwelling such as the siding, windows, or roof
  • A change in the use of a space or the finishing of unfinished space
  • The building of additions, garages, and decks (Note: this may also require a Residential Review Permit...more information can be found here.)

Work that is exempt from a permit includes painting, wallpapering, flooring, kitchen cabinets, and minor repairs. Detached storage buildings not exceeding 120 square feet do not require a building permit if they are not installed on a concrete slab. They do, however, require a plan review.

Mechanical, Plumbing & Electrical Permits

A mechanical permit is required for work done with air exchange systems, heating, and air conditioning. A plumbing permit is required when adding a water fixture such as a sink, tub, toilet, or lawn sprinklers. An electrical permit is required for work done with your electrical wiring system. Electrical permits are issued by the State of Minnesota. Information and permits can be accessed from the State of Minnesota website.