Permits & Licenses

Building Permits

The City of Excelsior issues a combination permit for all residential construction projects. General contractors or homeowners doing their own work will pay for and be issued all applicable permits for work included in their project at the time the building permit is issued with the exception of electrical (Building, Plumbing, Mechanical, Sewer and Water, etc.). Separate permits will only be issued when there is no related building permit for the work necessary.

Building Permit Applications should be completed and submitted for all projects including but not limited to:

  •  new construction
  • basement finishes
  • additions and alterations
  • accessory structures
  • structural changes
  • gas fireplaces
  • siding and roofing


**Please verify that the property you’re requesting a permit for is within the Excelsior city limits. (Helpful tip: any address with more than THREE digits isn’t in Excelsior. You can search Carver County Property Information or Hennepin County Property Maps to find the correct city)**

If the City receives a permit and fee for a property that is not in Excelsior, we will notify you, but the information will not be mailed back to you.

Permit Forms

For more information contact Julia Mullin, Community Development Director at 952-653-3674, 

For information on inspections or building codes contact, Metro West at 763-479-1720. 

For Information on Special Events or Ball Field Rental contact Amy Edwards at

Business Licensing

A Business License issued by the City of Excelsior is required for the following license types:

PDF FormsOnline Forms
Amusement Devices/Games of Skill
Dance Hall
Excursion Boat Docking
Gasoline Service Station
Liquor Licenses
Multiple Dwelling (PDF)
Pool Table
Publication Box
Mobile Food Vendor Application (PDF)Mobile Food Vendor E-Form
Photo Shoot
Refueling Permit for Leased Docks
Refuse Hauler (PDF)
See a current list of licensed Refuse Haulers (PDF)

Sidewalk Café Application (PDF)Sidewalk Cafe E-Form
Solicitor, Hawker, Peddler, Canvasser (PDF)
Tree Trimmer License (PDF)
See a current list of licensed Tree Trimmers (PDF)


For more license information contact the City Clerk at (952) 653-3675.

For State or County licensing information, contact the Minnesota Small Business Assistance Office at (651) 556-8425.